@masapuff cosplayed as Rem and Ram from Re: Zero. We didn’t have an extra person to make the pair so she switched things up in the later half to portray both characters. I have been here a few times and tried hitting up different angles to see how I could change it up a bit. It takes me a while to get comfortable with a scene so I might miss some really great angles the first time around. Lately, I’ve really been wanting to make the eyes pop out in my photos, it really adds so much more to the photo when you can see some beautiful catchlights. The effect is enhanced even more when all these cosplayers have some crazy colored contacts.
The second half of the photos were edited in another session and I handled them differently. This has become more common lately as I try to see what style fits in with my current vibe. I’m not really sure what direction I’m trying to head in, yet.
Just before Valentines Day hit I met up with a lady bug and a cat for another session downtown. Prior to this shoot, I didn’t know much about the show where these cosplays came from. Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir is an animated CGI series from France and full of cat puns. That alone has put this show on my list of things to watch in the future. Ladybug and Cat Noir were portrayed by @stellafraise and @kyykun, totally worth checking out their IG accounts later if you like cosplay. @takacosplay came back out to help out, holding items, reflectors and most of all eye candy.
Everyone brought a great energy to the shoot, I’m not one to be that serious so it helps when the people in front of the camera don’t take it seriously either. It ends up being just a session of hanging out with a camera.
After getting a bit more comfortable with the triangle reflector, I’m hoping to try out something larger like a sunbounce. Even the cheap one is easily 4x more expensive than this knock off reflector I’ve been toying with. The Fuji XT-2 and 85mm f1.2 was my setup of choice for this shoot.
The night was dark and full of sexy Dick pics, Dick Grayson to be exact. I had the opportunity to shoot with the elusive @takacosplay as he portrayed Nightwing. We hit up downtown in the early evening and ventured into an alley that gave a creepy vibe but didn’t scare us away. I brought out the Nikon D750 and borrowed an 85mm f1.8 G from my friend. Nightwing forgot his weapons at home so we had to improvise a few stances. After reviewing the photos and talking with another photographer, I got a few tips on how to make an action hero more imposing. Highly unlikely that I’ll remember to use them when the time is needed, but I’ll try.
In the end, Nightwing took it upon himself to rescue a young damsel from boredom.
A few weeks ago, I was approached about trying to do a shoot with Christmas lights. I didn’t realize how fun it was to play with these during a shoot, or think about the warmth created when having the lights directly around you. We had a powwow to get a general vibe for the shoot and got started. We shot with just the Christmas lights as a source and brought out a strobe for me to get some practice in. There was also a mixing up of the gear even more so than usual since I had random items on hand. Even though the final images could have been edited to match, I took a different approach. The specific cameras gave me a feel, the Nikon was dark and “contrasty” while the I felt light and softer with the Fuji.
Nikon D750 with a black backdrop
Fuji XT-2 on the couch with light walls
I decided to try some slide film a while back and have only recently sent the rolls in to get developed. Handling these on island is a bit too costly for me to afford locally, so I had to ship a box off to the mainland. A friend had recommended a company called AGX Imaging out in Michigan. AGX was great on the pricing and turned the images around flawlessly. This isn’t a sponsored post, but I really would like to talk about the experience working with them. Mike at AGX handled all my questions about the mailing process and everything returned very well taken care of. I probably should have had Mike scan the slides.
The second half of the process where I chose to scan the images myself, didn’t work out as well as I had hoped. The roll of film appears to look great, but I couldn’t seem to nail the scanning down properly as the colors looked off and a line appeared throughout most of the images. I tried adjusting the colors and cleaning the scanner but it couldn’t get the results I seen on the slide. This is definitely my fault and I need to look up some tips on how to handle my scanner better. It requires a lot of time and knowledge to be comfortable with all the different steps involved for getting your film to the medium you desire.
It’s the middle of January 2017 and some of these rolls went as far back as 2015. I know a lot of people can build a huge backlog of undeveloped film, but this has been the longest I’ve personally taken to get the processing finished.
The Mamiya RZ67 got a taste, but those slides had the most trouble for me to scan correctly.
The Yashica 635 had one fancy rolls that has stopped production since I picked it up in Japan. Provia 400X
Lastly, I’m pretty confident these were shot with my Contax G1 on Provia